Saturday 21 April 2018

Should audience opinion rule your decisions?

Through the analysis of the inquiry I have realised just how much emphasis I put on the opinions of others. I started the inquiry process feeling that I want to learn how to reach audiences today and I do feel that I know a great deal more now about what audiences seem to seek today. However, I also realised that it cannot all be about what the audience wants. Sometimes by challenging an audience to see something that they are not expecting, they develop a new interest. The difficulty lies in attracting them to come in the first place.

Not all audiences will like the way I dance or the choreographies that I create, but no doubt there will be some people out there who do, because everyone has a different opinion. I had never acknowledged this idea of everyone liking something different until this inquiry, because I have a perfectionist nature and tend to want to please everyone. From my interview and questionnaire data it has become so apparent that there are a huge variety of tastes out there and how important it is to do your very best and hope that it does something for some people. It is not right to put artistic creativity and development after what the audience might think it wants, the two must be considered in equal measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment