Sunday 5 March 2017

Reflections on Performing The Swan for Richmond Academy of Dance



On January 8th I was invited to perform The Swan at Hampton Hill Theatre in London as a guest professional dancer for the Richmond Academy of Dance school performance. It was very special to finally perform the Swan on a stage with a lovely projection of a lake at the back and a spotlight too. Initially I was a bit worried about how it would be received in a school performance with so much variety in terms of other styles of dance. However, it was actually well received and seemed to fit petty well in the whole programme. With many music hall style numbers I felt like I was back in a time when Anna Pavlova was dancing! There was a lovely feel about the whole event and all the students showed a true sense of performance and a real love of what they did. I was very impressed by the amount that they all performed and the incredible dedication clearly put in by their teachers. I feel that the environment which the principal Harita Stavrou has created is very positive and is clearly enhancing these young people's lives. This was a clear example of an environment in which young people can find their artistry and self expression, feeding into my questions about environmental factors influencing artistry. I felt very honoured to perform for such a lovely school.
To perform the swan here had different meanings for me. It gave me the opportunity to give to both the audience and the children involved in the performance.

Some snapshots before the performance!

Some collages I created to help me with this role.

No comments:

Post a Comment