Sunday 5 March 2017

Reflections on an Afternoon Performance With The Ballet Pod at Chirk Court Care Home: 3rd February 2017


I found this experience immensely rewarding. Our audience was a group of older people who had all decided to attend our performance of music, song and dance. They really were a very special and enthusiastic group. The space that we had to dance in was fairly restricted so we had specifically choreographed some dances for the occasion. It was important to take into consideration the fact that the residents would be sitting all around the space that we would be dancing in, so when choreographing we tried to ensure that everyone would feel involved and integrated. It was also essential to consider the costumes and show as much colour and variety as possible. The residents seemed to be especially impressed by the tutus with enthusiastic gasps emerging with each entrance that we made!
Because we had never performed at this venue before, I paid a visit before the event just to get a feel for the floor in my pointe shoes, which although not a dance floor, was in fact surprisingly good. It had a feel of spring to it, which I think is slightly deceptive because it is actually concrete underneath. It had a very nice non slip feel to it which was lovely for turning.

When performing in this situation, I began to think about what a good audience really is. I have found that those who are most appreciative and open are easiest to perform to. Someone with a critical eye is always hard to perform to and hard to please. I have found that I am much happier when I am giving to people who do not usually get to see ballet or dance. Indeed one of the male residents told us afterwards that he had never seen ballet before and that he thoroughly enjoyed it. This made me exceptionally happy as I feel like for him to have experienced something new and enjoyable at a late stage of his life, whilst at a care home is something very special.

I also found myself reflecting on the different ways in which we can give out when we dance. How for an audience at such close proximity such as this one, it is more effective to think of making eye contact with people and consider the performance as a sort of sharing of love and generosity. I found myself thinking that I would like to do more events like this one.
For ethical reasons I am unable to post any images of this event.



No comments:

Post a Comment