Sunday 5 March 2017

Reflections on An Afternoon of Tea and Entertainment with The Ballet Pod 21st January 2017


This performances was immensely rewarding for me. It was also surprisingly tiring and tough considering it was personally planned and performed by me and my brother and sister. Together we created a programme to perform. The programme consisted of our own choreographies as well as the Nutcracker pas de deux, a variation from Paquita and The Swan solo. My sister Clare, who works as a street performer and all round entertainer, performed cabaret numbers and songs and my Brother Michael also played the piano. We all performed together in a baroque dance interlude.
What was interesting preparing and performing in this event was analysing how to work with people who I know very well in a professional way. Although we have always worked closely together, it has been some years since we have put on an event together and I was intrigued to see how, now that we are all older, we work together. I believe that it was by far the best event that we have put on together actually. It raised the question in my head what does it mean to work together professionally? This brought to mind the theories associated with co-operation which I looked at in Module 1. I decided that the most beneficial way in which an event can take place is if all parties involved have an awareness of the following, regardless of whether or not they are a member of the family.
Good Time management
Empathy
Dedication
Flexibility
Positive attitude
Easy to work with
Commitment to the event and the rehearsals for it
Enthusiasm for the project
A sense of artistic communication and investment
The last element of the list above is a very important to me and my family actually. I was considering this notion of positive environments for artistry at this event too and I must say, I always feel very able to be myself when I am dancing with The Ballet Pod. I suppose because we all know each other so well, there is a special artistic bond between us all.
However, because we all know each other so well it can be a challenge to always be on top form. It can be easy to fall in to the trap of thinking we can take it easy on one day or to automatically blame each other for something before truly analysing the situation. This brought me to consider one of the topics discussed in this module - single and double loop learning (Anderson, 1994). It really is essential that we employ double loop learning to any situation which arises when we work together if we are to avoid major fall outs! Peter Senge's vision of a learning organisation (Smith, 2001) also comes into play here. For example the idea of personal mastery and an individual's learning possibly having an impact on the organisation definitely applies to the Ballet Pod, where the success of it is dependent on each of our visions. Our director and coach Richard Slaughter also naturally employs the Senge's notion of a shared vision with each of our views contributing to the outcomes of the organisation.





Photographs above by Steve Lloyd
With Michael Wall

A snap shot during the interval!


Bibliography
Anderson, L(1994) Espoused theories and theories-in-use:Bridging the gap (Breaking through defensive routines with organisation development consultants).Unpublished Master of Organisation Psychology thesis, University of Qld. Available at: http://www.aral.com.au/resources/argyris.html   (Accessed 4 March 2017)
Smith. M (2001) Peter Senge and the Learning Organisation: the encyclopedia of informal education. Available at: http://infed.org/mobi/peter-senge-and-the-learning-organization/ (Accessed 1 March 2017)


No comments:

Post a Comment