Sunday 5 March 2017

Reflections on Collaborations in Dance and Art


Today (17th February) I have had a fascinating experience. I was recently approached by an artist who asked if I could come and pose for some images which he would then paint from for a 'dancer project' which he is undertaking. I had initially thought this would involve holding certain positions for the artist to take still pictures of. However, the actually process was far more interesting because the artist had decided on a piece of music which he wanted me to improvise to. He said how important it was to him to capture the essence of movement in these photos so that he can show this in the painting.
What was very strange was that the music he chose was a piece by Arvo Pรคrt called Spiegel im Spiegel which translates mirror in the mirror. In the last few weeks I have been improvising to this very piece! It is very meditative and continuous and I have found a sort of sanctuary within the piece with which I can personally reach a more spiritual realm. I must say that I was in a state of disbelief when he put it on.
The area which I had to dance in was very small but I found this all the more interesting actually as I had to find ways to move expansively in a small space. Also it was a conservatory so the light would reach me every so often allowing for deeper connections to be made. It was very interesting to have a photo shoot like this because I have never before done one with music playing. Indeed, I often feel like a fraud in photos, as if I am not being honest and showing a true representation of myself. The more I think about it, the more I realise that it may be the lack of music that makes me feel that way. I found myself asking the question why do companies and schools not use music when they are doing their photo shoots?
I have decided that the next set of audition photos I do, I would like to use music for to see if I prefer the outcome. This feeds in to the questions I am exploring in Module 2 about environments with which artistry can be accessed. The element of music therefore can be considered an essential environmental factor in the development of self expression. Also the impact that light, particularly natural light has for me as an artist. I have always found that I feel most able to dance freely and honestly if I am dancing in a field in the sunshine!

I have found it an immensely broadening day today, a lot of food for thought. I will look forward to sharing the finished work when he produces it. 


Image from
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/carving-into-color-matisses-stunning-cut-outs/   (Accessed 5 March 2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment