Thursday 12 October 2017

Task 4C) Developing my areas of Wonder


Because the SIG seems to be taking a while to get going as I know everyone is really busy with their own research questions too, I have been considering my initial areas of wonder and developed them through discussions with friends, past colleagues and my performing siblings in one to one messages and conversations. I researched literature on the initial questions I had. What I realised as I was looking more and more into the idea of different performance contexts was that this is such a broad area, there is no way that I would be able to do the inquiry justice within the time limits I have. Reading the book Doing your Research Project by Judith Bell and Stephen Waters has helped me to come to a more systematic approach to my research and I realise that narrowing down ideas to a more specific area will allow me to do my inquiry more justice. The area of wonder that I found myself focusing on more and more was:

 What dynamics are produced from different audiences watching dance and how does that affect the performer?

From this area the following questions emerged.

How does the audience’s opinions impact the ballet dancer’s performance?

What can the ballet dancer learn from the views of the audience?

Is the audience’s point of view really necessary for a ballet dancer to progress?

Can proprioception take the place of external judgement?

What dynamics are produced from differing audiences?

How do views differ amongst diverse audiences?

How does the ballet dancer rate audience’s opinions?

Does the ballet dancer place more value on the point of view of a critical eye or a lay person’s eye?

How do ballet dancers deal with criticism?

After researching literature around this topic, I found that I had a lot of material to draw upon (I will be posting my literature in my next blog as I have not quite finished my reviews.)

I discussed this idea a little with Adesola, Jessica and Emily on the Module 2 skype session last week. Jessica brought up the question of how you deal with what the audience thinks of you, draw negative or positive outcomes from their views and if you as a performer take those views home with you. This idea stuck with me and first pointed my inquiry in this direction.

 I have been discussing these ideas with my Professional Associate Anna Pujol, a past colleague currently dancing with Ballet Cymru (She has agreed to be my professional Associate, granted permission to be named and for me to hyperlink to her biography). We discussed the effects of bad reviews and how although these should not in theory affect how a dancer works they could provide mental strain and ultimately result in detrimental effects on performance. Anna felt this area of research had great relevance.

I also discovered that this is perhaps the most relevant area to my practice as a ballet dancer at the moment. As I have recently been contemplating the fact that I place a lot of emphasis on the opinion of others. I often find it hard to decipher between opinions which are relevant and will help me to develop as a dancer and those that are unhelpful and of no use to me. I am also dancing in slightly more unusual places like care homes and book shops and consequently performing for diverse audiences in close proximity. Often, I will receive feedback from an audience immediately after I have performed and it can be a challenge to fully reflect on what I have done and decide what information is relevant from the views of others. I feel that by exploring how the audiences point of view has affected dancers before me in their performances and how they have used their opinions will help me understand how to use feedback from others to improve my performances.   

No comments:

Post a Comment