Monday 2 October 2017

Initial thoughts emerging as I embark on Module 2

Whilst working through Part 4 of the Module 2 handbook I have enjoyed considering some of the questions which are raised and I thought I would share some of my thoughts on them here!



Do I work within a disciplinary context in the arts? Or is my situation more transdisciplinary?

Although I am a professional ballet dancer, I am currently freelancing. This means that I am working in a variety of different genres. At the moment I am preparing ballet workshops for children, choreographing dances to perform at a variety of different events. I also create many of my own costumes for the work I perform. I am also setting up a craft business alongside. Therefore I would say that my situation is more transdisciplinary.

What do I know?
  • I have knowledge of the technique of ballet.
  • I know that when I am sincere as a dancer my dancing is much more powerful   
  • I have an awareness of how to work with others
  • I am willing to be directed by another/others and seem to feel a bit more at ease when dictated to
  • However, I also have a questioning personality and an ability to see when a situation is unjust. 
  • I know how to train alone to maintain my technique.
Competences
  • Precision in classical technique
  • Dancing on stage
  • Working with others
  • Choreographing in the classical ballet style
  • Improvisation
  • Adaptation of existing costumes
  • Creation of headdresses
  • Planning workshops and teaching young children ballet
Capabilities
  • Developing the confidence to take more risks and challenge my classical work. 
  • Dance in a classical company
  • Working with more authority and assurance
  • Having more confidence in independent work
  • Choreographing with more abandon and creativity in a variety of different style of dance. 
  • Teaching older more advanced children and adults
  • Promoting my work more.
  • Making my own costumes from scratch



Knowledge still required for the future.

  • I need to learn how to balance out my energies when working to an intense schedule to avoid burnout.
  • I need to learn to accept my short comings but not allow them to affect my confidence. Instead use them as motivation to work harder.
  • I need to develop the skills to pick up choreography faster.
  • I need to develop a stronger more abandoned and grounded physicality in my more contemporary work.
  • I need to learn to be proud of who I am as an individual as this will help me in more competitive situations such as auditions.
  • I need to learn to be assertive as this will give me more courage to go out into more situations which may challenge me.
  • I have noticed that since being a freelancer, I doubt my capabilities a lot more. Perhaps because I have relied to heavily on the validation of others in the past.  Now I need to find a greater strength to get to the next level as a performer. 
Considering all of these questions is helping me to develop the questions for my inquiry as it is encouraging me to look deeper into myself and discover what I really need to develop as a professional in the field of classical ballet.
I would like to know whether other freelancers out there have also felt a lack of confidence in their independent ability when they are used to being under directorship.


No comments:

Post a Comment