Wednesday 14 December 2016

Task 3d) Critical questions and and issues that emerge

Do some very specific ideas emerge about your networking and sources? Does your engagement to date seem appropriate? Limited? Focused? Planned? Unplanned?

What has emerged through the process of this module is the need for me to broaden my network to involve others who are not in exactly the same profession as myself. Although I have social friends who are not dancers, I would rarely discuss work with them and I must admit that at times I feel curious to know how the work of a ballet dancer compares to someone in an entirely different profession. I feel like developing my network in this way would help me to view my work in a different way. These ideas came to me when I was talking to a dancer colleague who has worked in a number of different fields such as in shops and bars. What I noticed was that he was analysing and comparing some methods of working which I had previously considered to be the norm and explaining how these are quite unique to our profession.
Although I have quite a broad network of contacts, they are mostly within the field of ballet and I have to be honest in saying that really, I am quite scared to meet people out of that context. Questions which always pop into my head are what will people think of me? will they think I am odd? Also aside from facebook and the BAPP blogs I don't have a huge online network. When I was trying to find people outside of the course to comment on the work of I found myself again feeling quite intimidated. I was pleased to find the website www.4dancers.org which has the blogs of different dancers on different topics, some of which I found very interesting and I managed to leave 2 comments on this forum. However, I was hoping to be able to conect with more blogs outside the course and I really feel that I need to develop my confidence to broaden my networking further in order to expand my knowledge.
 Some of my networking such as social media and blogging is planned where as other aspects of it are not. For instance I had never viewed my audience as a network before and recently when I performed alongside the BBC National Orchestra of Wales at The Wales Millenium Centre, I realised that I had just expanded my network even further by working with a 70 piece orchestra!
Rehearsing before the performance with the National Orchestra of Wales

Are your ideas, positions or concerns shared by others within and beyond your professional area of work?
Through looking at the blogs of others I can see that I share many ideas with other people on the BAPP course. For instance I found that the internet, books and magazines are common sources of information for many of us. Also on the www.4dancers.org blog I found an interesting post about how a dancer can manage mental stress. The author of this blog shared my opinion that the physical health of a dancer is wrongly given much more focus than the mental health.
Through talking with other company members, I find that I have a lot in common when it comes to thoughts about professional practice. Equally I disagree with some of their views too and it is always good to have a debate about a shared topic of interest. I have also found that many audience members share the feeling that I have about performance needing to be something which is felt from the soul in order to be transmitted into the auditorium. As I say I do not have great connectivity to those outside of my field at present, although some people on the BAPP course are involved in different aspects of the performing arts.

Does sharing and communicating with others shift your thinking planning or practice?
I often feel that when I share or explore ideas with others, those ideas will develop a much greater meaning to me than before I have voiced them. Learning what other's think about a given concept or idea can again give new insights into them. For instance often I will get quite bad stage fright before a performance. However, if I tell a colleague, especially someone who tends to be fairly laid back then I will immediately become less nervous. This is a very basic example, but it is extremely important to my profession seeing as I am performing all of the time.
Another example is when I was struggling to come to terms with some of the concepts and theories related to networking in this task and found that when I was talking to a family member about them and relating them to my own practice, they suddenly made more sense to me.


Does critical reflection help you decide what really matters and the actions to take?
Critical reflection most definitely helps in my decision making processes. Often I will have the feeling that a day has gone very badly or that I could have done better. However, always having these feelings can have a negative affect on me and my work. I find that the process of critical reflection puts everything into perspective. It helps me to see what I have learned from what has happened rather than dwell on it negatively. It can help me to take action and make changes to my work. I must admit that since studying the BAPP course I feel like I have learned a lot more from my work with Ballet Cymru than I would have had I not started on the course at this point. It has made me analyse my work and how others have worked over the season. I have also been able to really see where my current restrictions are as a professional and hone in on them so that I can make changes. Critical reflections also has the effect of making me feel more positive about myself and my work by giving me a sense of being in control of an outcome.

To what extent do concepts and theories assist you in thinking about your professional networking in different ways? And do these different ways of thinking have some purpose for you?
The different concepts and theories studied in part 3 of Module 1 have helped me a lot. Initially I found it hard to understand some of these concepts and I really had to work to engage with the material. However, once I did, I found real benefits. For instance the concepts of affiliation and cooperation have been really important during this season with Ballet Cymru, yet I realise that I have completely taken them for granted and never considered them or analysed them as concepts in their own right. Learning about these theories has also improved my confidence in social networking situations. Knowing what different aspects make up a good network gives me much more of a sense of security. Perhaps because I feel that I now have different strategies to employ to make networking easier.

Are you left thinking differently prior to this part of the module? And if so, how?
Before this part of the module I had no idea how important networking is to my job. Now I realise that it will help me to expand my knowledge within and beyond my own field of work and that it is really worth spending the time on. I think it has also highlighted for the fact that I need to further expand my networks and ensure frequent participation within my current networks. I feel inspired and more confident to take action and make this happen!


I have very much enjoyed the process of commenting on other peoples blogs. The links to some of my comments can be seen below.












Module one has been absolutely fascinating and I must admit some of the knowledge that I acquired I never thought I would be learning about, such as technology and theories from the areas of sociology and psychology. The amount which I have discovered about my own work and how to approach professional practice has been most beneficial during my first season with a ballet company. I look forward to submitting my critical reflection and moving on to Module 2.

2 comments: