Wednesday 14 December 2016

Task 3c Sources of Information


When deciding on my 5 most important sources of information in relation to my professional practice, I returned to the principles of the theory of connectivism and have included them again below:

  • Learning and knowledge rests in diversity of opinions.
  • Learning is a process of connecting specialized nodes or information sources.
  • Learning may reside in non-human appliances.
  • Capacity to know more is more critical than what is currently known
  • Nurturing and maintaining connections is needed to facilitate continual learning.
  • Ability to see connections between fields, ideas and concepts is a core skill.
  • Currency (accurate, up to date knowledge) is the intent of all connectivist learning activities.
  • Decision making is itself a learning process. Choosing what to learn and the meaning of incoming information is seen through the lens of a shifting reality. While there is a right answer now, it may be wrong tomorrow due to alterations in the information climate affecting our decision.
    (Siemens, 2004, pp 3-4)

All of these principles played a key role in the decision making process of identifying my most influential information sources. After analysing these sources, I realised that I do in fact draw my knowledge from a variety of networks. I was surprised because I had not previously thought about networking in relation to drawing together your sources of information, but now it makes a lot of sense to me as I can see how the views and work of others shape my own decisions and work.

1. Network of Teachers and directors
I rely a lot on the advice which I receive from my teachers and directors. It is through them that I can develop an understanding of where I am up to alongside other members of my community of practice, as well as continue to develop and improve my dancing. I also learn from the experiences which they tell me about within the earlier parts of their careers, as well as analyse their teaching and working methods and learn strategies which will be of use to me. In the world of ballet your teacher or director is usually the reason that you are working in the context that you are working in. Therefore there is a desire to please and satisfy them. This means that I tend to learn their particular preferences quite fast and try to apply the principles which are important to them when working for them.
The teachers and directors in the world of professional dance are all closely related to each other. Many will have been at school together or working in the same company at some stage, or they may simply have crossed paths in auditions. This means that by knowing one teacher you very quickly become associated with another and this results in a broadening of the professional network.

2. Experienced professional dancer colleagues
During this season with Ballet Cymru, I have learned a great deal from the other dancers of the company. Especially those who are older and more experienced than myself. I have gained knowledge and advice in so many areas but the most important I would say have been advice on professional etiquette, touring, corrections to my technique, how to cooperate with others in the company, how to improve my C.V and audition techniques, how to develop my cross training and how that will help me as a dancer. I have also learned about how to approach performance and manage nerves. What I think I learn from this source - through talking and working with my colleagues, is the type of information which can only come from those who have recently been at the same point as you in their careers.

3. The audience
The audience is most definitely one of my most important sources of information, as after all they are really who I dance for. From the views of an audience both during a performance - through applause and reactions, and afterwards - through speaking to people I can gain a huge amount. For instance it becomes clear whether or not a characterisation or storyline has come across through reactions such as laughter. I can immediately tell who has stood out as a dancer through the cheers and appreciation shown in the curtain calls. Through talking to audience members after a performance I can gage whether or not I have performed well, it is easy to tell a genuine response from a fake one.

An audience waiting to see The Royal Ballet's Frankenstein at the Royal Opera House

4. Dance publications, journals and books and programmes
Through dance publications such as the Dancing Times and Dance Europe I can learn a great deal about other companies, up and coming performances and auditions, reviews of the performances of others, as well as the reviews my own company. The critics view is always important in the world of dance, even though it is important to recognise that very often an audience will thoroughly enjoy a production which the critics can slate and vies versa. Never-the-less this in itself we can learn from. Sometimes it can be hard to read a critics review, but I still believe that it is a very important source of information, as it can be what a totally fresh eye on you sees and sometimes when you are working in a context where you are known well, you won't always get that feedback. Books are one of my most essential sources of information, in fact if I need to know something I will usually consult a book before I google it. If I cannot find the information I need only then will I consult the internet, but I feel that books are a far better source when I need to know about the more historical aspects of dance. Programmes from productions, both old and new provide me with a huge amount of information about a performance. All the details of the music and and designers are included, together with the performers details and I have found them to be extremely useful to my work. 
Below is a programme found in a second hand book of a performance by Anna Pavlova.

5. The Internet
 The internet is a very important source of information for me though, the most important aspects probably being Facebook, blogs, networkdance, youtube. Through Facebook I can assimilate knowledge in relation to other companies and other dancer's experiences of them. Also through the companies group facebook chat I will learn about things related to the company and basic information like tour schedules, tour leave times etc. all of which is essential for day to day working. Through looking at other peoples blogs on the BAPP course I can develop an understanding of different view points and this can give me enlightening ideas on my own work. Networkdance is a great way to learn about other companies and up and coming auditions, it also allows for my professional profile to be presented publicly and the opportunity for me to apply for auditions directly through the site. Youtube is of use to me because if I have to dance a particular piece of choreography, I can analyse different versions by different dancers, formulate my own opinion on which would suit me better and help to develop my own interpretation of it. I do not always use youtube because I do not believe you can get the same atmosphere of a 3 dimensional art form on a 2 dimensional screen, but I would say that at times it is a very useful source of information.

It is always important to consider that there are copyright issues regarding the internet and these must always be taken into account as it is very easy to acquire knowledge and not think to source where you have found it. Also when it comes to talking to other colleagues and audience members it is essential to respect their desire for confidentiality and use what they say without their permission.

I have been looking at other peoples blogs and was interested to see that for most people the internet is a major source of information, also books and films or documentaries are common sources. I noticed that some people are listing meetings and short courses as important sources of information, while others were stating that they would like to broaden their information sources by attending these. This made me feel that I would also very much like to broaden my sources of information by getting involved in more group meetings and short courses, where I can extend my network of professionals, possibly in different fields, as well as further my knowledge.
Having identified my main sources of information I would say that I can develop my usage of every source to gain greater knowledge in my work so I am currently exploring the ways that I can do this.

Bibliograhy
Siemens, G (2004) Connectivism: A learning theory for the digital age
Accessed 12th Dec 2016


1 comment: