Monday 12 March 2018

First Interview


Below is an extract from my journal after I did my first interview:

Today I did my interview with the marketing and outreach officer in the ballet company. I must say that I was unbelievably nervous! I realised just how difficult it is for me to be in a position of authority, to be asking questions and guiding the talk. I am very much used to being on the other side. I think this is something that comes from the ballet world, we as dancers are used to be dictated to and not asking questions. However, once I arrived I was put at my ease with the staff at the company. The interview was only 16 minutes long which surprised me. I was expecting it to be double that length but I found it hard to know just how long the participant was likely to need to answer each question.
I did generate all the information that I required in a very short period of time though. After listening back to the interview, I realise that I need to project my voice more as when I am nervous it tends to disappear. Some of the answers that my participant gave really surprised me as they were contrary to what I had previously assumed to be the case and this really excited me. I am thoroughly enjoying seeing how the inquiry is beginning to develop.

I have transcribed the interview and was pleased with the amount of information generated. I am currently planning the next one but am having difficulty because all of the three possible participants are now not replying to my messages,  despite two of them initially saying they would be involved. This is making things quite challenging but it also made me realise that it is better to be honest and say no than not to say anything at all. I do realise that they are probably very busy though and this is something which I may include in the inquiry process.


No comments:

Post a Comment