Wednesday 2 November 2016

Task 1d: 2d Images


In the world of the performing arts, social media generally has a great deal of benefits, as it can publicise up and coming work to followers, many of whom are hoped to make up the next audiences. It can also reach out to more of the general public, through the process of sharing and allow the viewer to feel involved if more informal elements such as backstage photographs and performer interviews as brought in, as well as the purely professional posts. The following quote is from a very interesting article by Poole and Le-Phat Ho (2011) which looks into the importance of social media in the arts.

Current writing suggests that social media provide important tools to help artists reach their audiences.... predicated on the assumption that there is no longer a mass market but rather a collection of niche markets. In this view, audiences have fragmented and are not necessarily larger or smaller, just more diffuse. Social media are regarded as powerful because they allow artists to reach the specific audiences that are interested in what the artists make.

So clearly social media has a great impact on the promotion of the arts and because we are talking mostly about audio visual or indeed purely visual arts, it is obvious that a large proportion of the impact will come from images and audio visual posts. Whether they are photographs or videos, they will provide the viewer with a clear idea of what is being promoted and effectively entice the viewer to want to see more. Therefore the selection for such posts need to be considered with great care, so that there is just the right amount of material shown to draw the viewers interest, but not allow them to feel that they have seen it already and do not need to come to the performance!

For the individual artist, images and audio visuals also have a huge place in social media. They can provide an opportunity for self promotion and allow you to be entirely in control of the public persona you want to be known by. In today's society there is a great deal of emphasis on public image. This is even more evident in the world of ballet, with individuals and companies all over the world working to show themselves off in a way which ranks them at the top of their profession. I always feel that any photos which I upload to the internet must show me off in the best possible way. However, I always avoid using photoshop on dance images because although I want to look as good as possible, I also want to present a true image of the person I am. I struggled during the audition process because my pictures did not show anything hugely impressive. I am still working to develop my portfolio of images so that they can appear more attractive to directors in the future.

When it comes to posting material publicly it is essential to consider the implications involved, such as the photographer's copyright and within a video of choreography for instance, the choreographer's copyright. Just because the video or photograph is of me does not mean that there are not other people who I may need to acknowledge. It is also very important to ensure that the audience is considered. As when posting on public forums often material can be accessed and used by companies wanting cheap images. I have often seen this in cheap calendars where principal dancers from top companies are caught in the most unfortunate positions!
I have decided to use Flickr for my professional portfolio of images as I feel it gives me more space and opportunity to really develop my images than instagram. Also, I tend to feel that instagram is more of a personal social network for me than one to promote myself professionally. I have created four albums, one with audition pictures, one with classical performance shots, one with contemporary performance shots and one of general performance pictures which hopefully shows a variety of genre and versatility. I am looking forward to adding to these as I develop through my career.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145327860@N07/albums



Bibliography
Poole, D. and Le- Phat Ho, S.(June 2011) Digital transitions and the impact of new technology on the arts (online). Available from: http://www.cpaf-opsac.org/en/themes/documents/DigitalTransitionsReport-FINAL-EN.pdf (accessed 30th October 2016)

4 comments:

  1. Really interesting Ann, i agree with you social media has had a great impact on the arts for example ballet companies around the world taking part in world ballet days where the general public on social media got an insight into professional ballet companies which they wouldn't of had the opportunity to if it wasn't broadcast on social media.I believe this had a positive impact on the arts !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! In fact I think World Ballet Day has really reached out to the general public, educating people who would other wise perhaps have no knowledge of the art form. Within the business, it also forces us to make comparisons of standards between companies too. Thanks very much for the comment Eleanor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good analysis of the use of images - copyright does play a part - and the 'vision' of the photographer. Liked your link when you were establishing meaning in "Digital Transitions and the
    Impact of New Technology On the Arts``(you can activate link on your blog?). For some reason the link does not work for me? Access was something we were talking about today - we now are reliant on wifi to see hear and communicate and link. Thanks also for the Harvard reference - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Paula! Right yes I have been having some trouble getting my links to work actually. I will look into it!

    ReplyDelete