Monday 14 November 2016

Exploring my individual ways of learning


I have found this a very beneficial topic to look into because ever since I was quite young I have often felt uneasy about not picking up information fast enough. I have always felt that everyone around me is one step ahead. However after having read Reader 2 and looked at at a very useful website www.learning-styles-online.com, I now realise that actually I just have a unique way of learning and that does not mean that I am less intelligent than someone else. I did the Honey and Mumford learner types quiz to find out what type of learning category I fall into. The quiz told me that I am a theorist. This actually makes a lot of sense as to why I often find it hard to pick up sequences of movement, yet once I have memorised them and found a structure with which to memorise them I have no problem retaining them. The description of the theorist learner is quoted below:

The Theorist
You learn better in structured learning activities which follow a logical sequence. You prefer lecture, demonstrations, theory and precision teaching.
You are great at integrating your research into complex and logically sound theories. You approach all problems through a logical process and can combine seemingly disconnected concepts into a rational scheme. You tend to be a bit of a perfectionist . You love to study from principles, theories and models. You tend to be detached, analytical and rational and don't like ambiguity or subjectivity.



I know that I also begin learning at the point of 'reflective observation' in Kolb's learning cycle. Again this can have draw backs in the line of business I am working in as in reality, as a dancer I often need to just get into the space and go for what I have been asked to perform. I find it very difficult to do this and much prefer to take the material away and work on it and then deliver it when I am satisfied that I know what I am doing. I think that often this can result in missed opportunities. Although I do think that reflective observation can also have a lot of benefits especially to the characterisation of roles and preparation for a performance. However, in order for me to better in audition situations for example, I would benefit from entering the learning cycle at the 'active experimentation' stage of the cycle.


Having said all of this, being a dancer I think I have trained myself to learn partly in a bodily- kinaesthetic way even though I would not say this is 100% natural for me. I find it is quite natural when I am learning classical work, when learning contemporary or neo classical movements I find this a great deal harder though and I was discussing with Eleanor via her blog, how I tend to use associations to help with this, such as a specific movement of the wrist being a 'screwing the light bulb' movement. Eleanor also suggested to me that I could try identifying movements to sounds as well and I am going to try this out in the coming week.
I think I also learn visually both within the learning of movement and academic concepts. For example, I often like to make sense of particular types of information through creating collages. I have also noticed that when I read an article about a topic, it will take much longer for me to process the information than if I am looking at slides with some colour and images on.
Through dance I am also always heavily influenced by the music. It is often music which helps me to remember choreography in fact, so therefore I can identify a bit of Aural learning too. I think really I do use a combination of principles to learn as fast and as accurately as I can.

Other factors which influence my learning are external surroundings. For instance when I am touring with the company many hours are spent on the tour bus. I try to work on these journeys but with the radio on, background chat and being in such close proximity to others I find it hard to concentrate. I had a useful conversation with Paula about this. She was saying that this in itself is part of the professional practice process and is something to actually analyse. She also helped me to realise that the deep discussions which I frequently have with the other dancers during these journeys are actually unveiling so much about my work all of which I am able to incorporate into my reflective practice.
Also considering other factors related to external surroundings, the question recently arose whilst I was writing my journal, how does an external surrounding influence the mind and in turn affect creativity and artistry? This came to me with a particular link to choreography as I noticed that I can't choreograph movements when I am stressed, under the pressure of time or in a room with lots of people. I intend to do some more research into this topic and am going to discuss it with some work colleagues. If anyone has any thoughts on this though I would be very interested to hear your opinions.

I have never had the opportunity to really look into my own way of learning before and now a lot more things make sense to me about myself which I hope will help me in my work.

Bibliography
Sana, (No Date) Honey and Mumford learner types (1986) quiz. Available from: http://resources.eln.io/honey-mumford-learner-types-1986-questionnaire-online/ (accessed 13th November 2016)
Anon, (No date), Overview o learning styles. Available from: http://www.learning-styles-online.com/overview/index.php (accessed 14th November 2016)

No comments:

Post a Comment