Sunday 12 November 2017

Reviewing part 5: ethics



After looking at part 5 I have discovered many more ethical implications to the inquiry I have been planning. I really opened my eyes to see that what I think of as being the right thing to do, might be considered wrong by someone with a different ethical outlook.  The different theoretical approaches are helping me to consider issues from all angles.

For instance, consequentialism is where the good is maximised for the greatest number of people, so to kill one person in order to save the lives of ten others would be considered morally right.

Deontology is where an action is only right if there is good will and only good will behind it.

The virtue ethicist’s approach is where the moral behaviour and character of the person carrying out an action are the most important factors in considering whether something is right or wrong.





I have realised that as a person and a dancer I have am probably a virtue ethicist. I have been able to identify this by noticing that often someone can say or do something which other people tell me was wrong and I will usually find a way to justify their behaviour. I will do this by looking deeply into their character and often finding insecurities and personal problems which have led them to these actions. I can very easily forgive people for something hurtful when I know that deep down they are good people but have inner personal difficulties which are what ultimately may be responsible for their actions.  

When carrying out my inquiry I intend to continue looking from all of these angles to see which best fits the purpose of my inquiry.  Throughout the historical part of the inquiry into Anna Pavlova I can also apply these approaches to help unveil her values as an artist.



With regard to professional ethics I have been very interested in the article which Part 5 of this Module signposts you to called A dancer is a person by Sho Botham. This article deals with issues regarding the approach taken to teaching dance. It highlights that dancers must be treated like people and valued for the people they are, not only for the skill or talent they possess as a dancer, if they are to reach their full potential. It argues for the benefits of a more holistic approach in which the person and dancer are equally respected. I found this article very insightful because I have experienced certain approaches to teaching to be very detrimental to my health and happiness, but never noticed that it was the teachers with the people centred approach which have ultimately drawn the best out of me. It has given me a new outlook on my practice where I feel a right to receiving acceptance and respect as a person as much as a dancer.

Bibliography

Botham, S. (2000) ‘A dancer is a person’ Journal of Dance Medicine and Science , Vol 4, No. 4, p.146.  Available at: http://www.ethicsdance.co.uk/resources/downloads/A-Dancer-is-A-Person.pdf (Last accessed 12 November 2017)

Module 2 Handbook (2017) BAPP Arts, Middlesex University, London: Middlesex University


No comments:

Post a Comment